Ferring Parish Council
Position Title: Administrative Assistant
Reports to: Clerk & Responsible Finance Officer
Location: 1 Elm Park, Ferring, West Sussex BN12 5RN
Hours of Work and Pay: 9 - 12 hours per week worked over morning sessions (Monday - Thursday). Some flexibility may be considered. The pay is subject to experience.
Holidays: The equivalent of four weeks per annum
Probationary period: 3 months
Job purpose: To provide administrative support and assist in the smooth running of the Parish Office. To use own initiative to carry out the specific responsibilities as below:
Key responsibilities and accountabilities are to:
- Liaise with the Clerk on a daily/weekly basis to discuss progress of the current work and new items for attention.
- Liaise with visitors to the office, dealing with or passing on enquiries as
- Deal with telephone and email enquiries.
- Set up and maintain the office filling system.
- Update village noticeboards & website on a weekly basis.
- Order office stationery and check delivery notes.
- Carry out general administration duties.
- Carry out tasks around the village as required by the Clerk.
- Manage allotments waiting list and preparation of allotment contract and collection of monies.
- Circulate correspondence to Councillors as instructed by the Clerk.
- Draft correspondence and documents as instruction by the Clerk.
- Assist with the preparation and distribution of (paper & digital) agendas and supporting documentation for meetings of the Council and Committees.
- Research information required by the Clerk.
- Land Registry issues.
- To act as the representative of the Council as required by the Clerk or Chairman.
- Attend training courses or seminars as required.
- Assist the Clerk with any other work as necessary.
Additional areas of involvement as time/experience permits:
- Project work, such as Remembrance Day, Christmas Event.
- Co-ordinating the preparation, printing & distribution of the Parish Flyer.
- Involved with the arrangements for Council functions.
Patient, good with people (communicating face to face and over the telephone), organised, methodical, good attention to detail, enthusiastic, flexible, sense of humour, discretion.
Specific Job Skills:
Previous administration experience. Able to work on own initiative, possess a good command of English language, able to prioritise, have a genuine interest in village affairs.
IT & Business Skills:
Strong IT experience is essential (Microsoft packages, particularly Word and Excel, the internet and outlook email).
To apply for this position, please forward your completed application form accompanied by your CV to:
Clerk & Responsible Financial Officer
Ferring Parish Council
1 Elm Park
Or via email
Closing date 27th January 2018
Ferring Parish Council is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community